8.09.2011

My Icons

If you ask anyone close to me, they will tell you my icons are.
{style icon} Taylor Tomasi Hill
{fashion designer} Alexander Wang
{interior designer} Candice Olson



{Taylor Tomasi Hill}





I absolutely adore her style. She mixed different colors, patterns, textures and styles to get something that is perfectly her. Prabal Gurung interviews her:
{If you weren't an Editor you would be...}
A PI. I have a fascination with eaves dropping and I always joke with my husband that if I ever leave the fashion world or if we ever move home to Dallas I am going to get into the world of investigation. I'm sure my obsession stems from the "uniform" of a PI. Who doesn't love a trench? 

{What is your current summer obsession?}
Ballet Beautiful. I've been training with Mary Helen Bowers over the summer, she's the ballerina responsible for Natalie Portman's training for Black Swan, (not the crazy lady who tried to take credit for all Portman's moves.) She focuses on lengthening, and opening your body. I've seen amazing results, and enjoy the class because it's a group of girls that I have known for a long time (new friends are welcome too) and we catch up before and after class. It's too painful to chat during class even though it's allowed, you usually only hear moans and groans.    

{Who is your ultimate fashion icon?}
Sarah Rutson. She has always been such an inspiration, not only as a fashion icon, but also as a role model and a respectable business woman in the industry. She has come so far, I admire her drive and passion to get where she is, all the while maintaining such an elegant and unique presence. 

{Your favorite summer get away?}
Aspen. We go for a week every summer to hang with my in laws and all the kids. It's so beautiful and refreshing in the summer. Morning hikes, yoga, the views of mountains sitting next to the pool, gossip with the girls,  and fun rounds of golf (I just drive the golf cart, look awkward in my NYC duds, and chase the drink cart lady). 

{What are your summer wardrobe staples?}
--Pops of neon.
--Cat-eyes of all varieties.
--Chanel mineral water facial spray, for the days that get up to 102 in the city. 

{Tumblr or Twitter? Any favorites worth noting?}
I guess I should jump on that band wagon, but still have yet to do so. 

{Favorite place to see street style?}
Outside of Barneys of course! It's my favorite place to pop in mid day between appointments. I am always  inspired by what they have on display, whether it be the windows, an art installation, or an amazing new jewelry designer. I do a lot of what I like to call "market research" at Barneys, well, at least that's what I tell my husband. 

{What are your 3 favorite places in NYC?}
Lower Broadway on a Saturday at 2pm. Just Kidding.
1. Fred Leighton. Duh, I think every girl would respond the same.
2. My new apartment. Finally moved out of 500 square feet and loving every minute of it. I'm planning my first "Dance Party USA," a common occurrence at the old pad, and I can actually have more than two people over! Get ready friends, put on your dancin' shoes.
3. The flower district. It's only one block long, but there is nothing like it early in the morning. I always find a new flower or color that inspires me. 





{Alexander Wang}


spring 2010 collection


&

{Candice Olson}




After watching an episode of Candice Tells All where she transformed a boring bedroom into a glamorous retreat, I had a revelation: I finally know how to define my style. Well, I at least I know how to define the type of style I am so fond of.
"The best bedrooms exude a sense of comfort and intimacy. In this episode, Candice tackles a clumsy master bedroom and applies monochromatic design to turn it into a warm and enchanting haven. Candice's insider tips include adding interest and style to a monochromatic scheme by using multiple patterns and textures." -HGTV. Read what else she had to say about this bedroom makeover here.
Anyone that really knows me knows who my favorite fashion designer is: Alexander Wang. He keeps his designs pretty monochromatic, but keeps it always interesting with creating texture in every piece. Each piece is a work of art. If I could hang every piece of clothing I have from his collection in a shadow box on my wall, I would [I should, since I'm very protective of them]. 
I love structure, texture, pattern, monochromatic. This is what I love. This is why I love Alexander Wang. 


Xo,
Ash.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I wasn't sure how to email you, so I decided to comment on your blog (so great by the way!) instead. I'm Sunnie Brook's assistant Danielle, and I just wanted to let you ladies know that you are the winners of her July Loot Giveaway! Congratulations, and thank you for re-posting her blog entry! I'm going to be sending our your prizes either today or tomorrow, so if you could please email me one of your mailing addresses to: danielle@sunniebrook.com, that would be great! thanks..

    ReplyDelete